Animal Transfer and Housing

Mice and rats are housed in the vivarium immediately adjacent to the imaging suites. To obtain access to this vivarium contact Golo Castellanos (754-6722; 752-3176; When ordering animals for your study, specify housing at the GBSF vivarium. If your animals are housed at another UCD vivarium, or they are to be transferred from another institution, you must obtain permission from the Health Monitoring Coordinator ( before they can be brought into the GBSF vivarium or into the CMGI imaging suites. It is important to seek this permission well in advance of your imaging date in case your animals need to be treated for an infectious disease, or require quarantine, which can delay your imaging session for weeks. Please refer to the specific procedures for rodent transfers between facilities. established by the Center for Laboratory Animal Science (CLAS). Transfer of caged animals to the vivarium or to the imaging suites must be performed in accordance with the procedures outlined in the Rodent Transport policy in order to minimize the risk of infection to other research animals.

Unassisted Studies Involving Radioactivity

Researchers performing unassisted studies with radioactive animals are responsible for: 1) returning the animals to the designated vivarium holding room for radioactive animals (Room 0658), placing them in a clean cage, and checking the animals daily; 2) labeling the cage with radioactive tape indicating the date, isotope, dose, and estimated time when the animal will no longer be radioactive; 3) changing the cage 10 days after the last cage change if the animal is still radioactive; and 4) contacting CLAS (Phone: 752-1390) to place a work order to transfer the animal to its home room once it is no longer radioactive.

Comments are closed.